We all would like to have our DVD media be part of a computer magazine, but that is hard to get done. The real issue is the cost. Producing a DVD cost money for its maker. Having it a part of a magazine makes it more difficult to ship it to its sales location or by mail to its subscription readers. It is not free. It is my hope that one day it will be part of a computer magazine "free software" DVD, but it may not happen in the near future.

Using the "cloud" for your file saving is an idea that is both good and bad. What happens when you cannot get access to the Internet, or the storage company has its communication lines cut [like the major flooding this past year], or some other issue that prevents you from accessing your files? One day, LO may have the option to connect to cloud servers, most likely through an extension. There are a lot of things that have to be worked out to deal with cloud servers, including real-time encryption, to make using a cloud server access system work properly. As time goes by, and cloud computing is used more and more by users, the open-source code will be written to get this process working.

Tablet and smart phones devices are hard to write for if you want something like a "mini" office package. There are resource issues to take into account. There are people working on stripping LO down to an application that could work on an Android device, but what features will you keep and what will you get rid of? MS is working on a version of their office package for the tablet environment, but there is an app that I see advertised as part of tablets and other devices like Kindle and Nook that will read/write basic MSO documents. But these apps are extremely stripped down. Well, at least we have people that are looking into making a version of LO for Android.

Web page creation and editing can be done with LO, but it is not designed to be as good as a stand alone WYSIWYG web page editor. There are free ones out there, like Kompozer, that do the job well enough for non-power users. But, making Writer be a great web page editor would cause it to be a bloated package. Right now LibreOffice is an "office" suite, not a web page design package. Even thought they may both be WYSIWYG editors, they have majorly different functions. Also, if you do create a web page editor, you should make it and editor/browser and be able to deal with most client side scripting and display. Then there is the server side scripting that is used, like PHP, that needs to be considered. To be honest, I started writing web pages with HTML 2.x using a text editor and a browser. It took some time for me to find a free HTML editor that worked for my needs. For business, you will need something that is much more powerful, and easy, than the current crop of free WYSIWYG web page editors. One day, there might be a movement to add a web page editor to the office suite, but that day is not going to happen soon.

You have to realize that LO is an office suite of modules. It is currently designed for use in an office environment that is dominate by MS Office. Our developers are working hard to make it the best office suite available. The issue I found with MSO is the fact that they wanted to make there modules/packages do as much as possible and have become so bloated that the "average user" uses less than 5% of what Word and Excel can do. LO does not was to go down that path. If the real need for other modules/packages to be included into an office suite of modules/packages, then the developers will start working on those needs. Right now, our developers do not want to develop software that already has good/great open-source versions. We were asked to include an email package, like Outlook, but there are free ones out there that work well and we do not want to duplicate their work with our limited manpower. We have a drawing package, but it was not meant to replace the larger packages like Inkscape and GIMP. We do not have the manpower to compete in that market. So we stick to what we do best, an office suite. By doing this we create will keep making LibreOffice the best in its market, instead as a so-so package in many different markets; like office suite, web editor, email client, etc., etc..