On 11/25/2011 07:14 AM, Italo Vignoli wrote:
On 11/25/11 12:41 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

The FSF seems positively rabid and starts with the premise that
people want to be free rather than to just get on with work easily.
Your post makes a lot more sense and is a lot calmer.  Can i use
parts of it to present an argument to work-colleagues and a few other
people outside of TDF?
Although I share many FSF ideas, I do not approve at all their
communication strategy. You are free to use my text, and I have added to
my todo list a presentation on the subject.

No matter how much better ODF is over MSO formats, it will take a lot of effort to get businesses to switch.

We will never see ".doc" or ".docx" go away as the "default" format for word processing. It has been the business standard for too many years for that to change. So if a suite wants to be part of the business market, it needs to be able to use MSO formats.

As for ODF, well I think it will grow in use. I use it as my default format[s] but I still have to send .doc files to many contacts who's work have not thought of switching. Several of these are at state governed agencies that has too much of a ingrained use of MSO to be able to break out of it easily.

As more and more governments respond to budget pressures and stop buying MSO contracts, then we have a hope to continue to grow in the market. The issue is all of those legacy systems that cannot read/write ODF formats. Businesses will still need to deal with non-ODF formats for a long time until those old systems are replaced with LO or other ODF usable systems.

I will hope that more and more businesses use ODF for internal use, while "exporting" those documents to MSO formats for external use. If MSO starts reading/writing ODF better, then ODF may grow faster. If we can find a filter that allows MSO to read/write ODF formats, for those versions that did not try to built it in, then we can send that filter to our business contacts as something that may help their businesses deal with the International Standard Office Suite file formats called ODF.