In some related articles, "experts" looked at that is currently in the "secure boot" "option" and they have concern about what happens if MS controls the keys - like current plan - and hardware OEMs do not want to pay the "bribe" monies to MS to include their hardware in the accepted list. If you buy a new video card or a new SATA controller or drive that is not registered with MS, that expert[s] feel that the secure boot system will not allow the computer to boot at all. I still run across hardware that are not MS registered and I get nasty pop-ups warning me about installing the device and drivers since it is not "MS approved". I still can install it, with hassle, but what will happen if I get this on a secure booted system. Sorry the company did not pay the bribe and so you cannot use it. Then there are the new stuff that comes out after the computer is built. Even if they "register" with MS, there is no way to allow the system to boot with that newer hardware without a firmware upgrade. I had one of those go bad with a router. I had to through it out since it would never work again.

MS states it is up to the OEM computer builders and bios builders to "allow" the thing to be disables via a "checkbox". It cost more to do that and since it has to be on or MS will not sell them their OS, some OEMs have stated that their current plan is not to have that option of disabling it. Cost less that way.

Having something to stop those "boot loader" nasties is good, but if it prevents the good things from being able to work, then there is something wrong. There was a statement about why should MS with 99% of the share be required to allow the 1% to work on the computers that have their logo on. My feeling is that if this new security system prevents that 1% from working on legally bought systems that you want to add Linux onto it [dual boot or only boot] then there is some real bad legal issues again. In the USA less than 1% of us are handicapped, but until the law was created to protect our rights, we had no legal rights to be able to get into government buildings, or places to cast our votes. Our schools did not have to have wheelchair access, thus if you were in a wheelchair, you may not be able to get into the building or go to the floor where the class is held. It is against the law to deny the rights of a minority. Linux users are part of the OS minority. In the later 1880's to the 1930's and later, any Big business company that controlled a market and used that control to stop other businesses from being a part of that market, got chopped up. Big Standard Oil was chopped up, and much later ATT got chopped up into smaller companies - BY LAW. MS is in the same boat, but due to loopholes and big money to those with power in the government, MS was not required to be broken up. So they control 99% of the market [they say], and now that are telling the OEMs that if you want to sell your products in that market, you must do things our way. What is next? MS using their market control to tell other markets leaders that if you do not do it our way, we will make sure your company will not get our products ever again? MS controlled cars? MS controlled telecom? MS controlled Internet? Oh wait, Linux systems run the Internet.

If MS is allowed to force OEMs to do it their way or not allowed to be in that market, then what else will they force on us down the line. I want my PC running Linux now. If I buy a system with Win 8 installed and decide that I would rather have Linux on that PC, then I legally have the right to have that option without MS telling me I cannot. MS is slowly loosing market shares in the PC market [non-Mac systems]. It is not much, but it is there. They are slowing loosing users to OOo and now LO. If they can make a hardware "security system" that stops Linux to work on those machine, will they be able to do the same for non-MS software, like LO and other open source software? What is stopping them? Not the law and our courts. Their fines are pocket money. Put MS leadership in jail for a few years, then maybe they will stop breaking our laws.