2011/6/15 Bernhard Dippold <bernhard@familie-dippold.at>

Hi all,

it seems that the relationship between the Brazilian project and the
international
community is really hard to understand.

Indeed. I'm sure about that. But some people are trying to overcome those
issues, instead feeding the fire, I think. I'll try to explain what caused
this unconrtable situation right below.

It is easy to get an impression that supports the personal (negative)
thoughts
and misgivings about "the other side". I believe that none of the comments
here
have been meant in such a way.

Well, in the beginning, Klaibson's proposal seemed extremely strange to us.
First, because he is aware that there already is a brazilian magazine.
Second, because he didn't discussed the idea with us before bringing it to
international arena. Third, because recently he asked for other members from
brazilian community to write texts, tutorials and articles to another
magazine in Brazil, Espírito Livre, but we are facing some difficulties in
doing the same to the BrOffice Magazine.

We are not against people to write to any publication they want. Espírito
Livre is a well known online magazine from Brazil and They are dedicating an
entire issue to LibreOffice. That's really good, I think! Our concern was
because Klaibson and other people in brazilian lists seemed to prefer giving
more emphasis to a publication from outside, than the one made by the
community.

Sincerely, I think Klaibson could put his idea into discussion in brazilian
lists before bringing it to marketing@. His move caused some "paranoid
reactions" here, unfortunately.

Back to the topic:

I fully support the idea of informing the international community about
local
activities.

And the BrOffice magazine is a really great task that has the chance to
become
the nucleus of an international magazine. They already translaetd some of
their
previous magazines to English and made it available for the international
community.

Thanks.

But as always the restrictions for any volunteer work is time and people
dedicated to a certain task.

Yes, that's our concern. But our experience shows that it's not so difficult
than it seems to be. The major difficulty must be joining volunteers from
other parts of the world and building a publishing process easy for all.
Dedication time will affect the necessary time to release each issue, but it
can be solved with issues each two or three months, instead of monthly. In
this case we would be gaining experience and cuting the edges for a future
monthly magazine. The fact is: if we don't start something we will never do
that.

The Brazilian team is still too small to fulfill their own tasks in a time
they
want to, so they can't spend their resources on an international magazine.

Again, yes. And that's why we couldn't understand why Klaibson prefered to
take an isolated initiative, instead of talking to the BrOffice Magazine
volunteers and join efforts.

I really see the positive aspect of a magazine that might contain
international
parts (like how-tos, tips-&-tricks, success stories etc...) as well as a
local part
with topics only relevant to this area. A general available design, easy
re-usable
templates and our community branding might ease the possibilty for
different
local / localized magazines based on the same source.

It would be nice, indeed.

But as Italo already said: it is a huge task and needs long time
dedication.

If there is a group interested in working on such a topic, I'm sure the
Brazilian
team would help you with their knowledge - you might even re-use some of
the work they created for the BrOffice magazine.

We feel grateful for that.

To be crysal clear: nobody at TDF is interested in centralized decisions on
local activities (except the trademark issues, where we should have
addressed
our concerns in a way better to be understood for the Brazilian community).
The Brazilian magazine is a very positive sign not only for LibreOffice in
Brazil,
but (as it shows, that it is possible to do such work in our community) for
the
international community too. It should never be replaced by anything else -
but
perhaps it is possible to create an international team based on their
experiences.

We really want to help on that. Thanks again for the opportunity.

Best regards

Bernhard

Regards.

--