I think we need an advertising campaign but we need to decide who our target
market is.  The Calc ad seems aimed at corporate middle-managers.  The Writer
one is a bit vague, perhaps charity workers, the child is too weird for most
people to relate to.  The Impress one seems aimed at a small niche of
home-users, perhaps small offices run by a single mumsy type and alienating the
corporate types.

The current series of 3 might be interesting to run in linux-only settings where
we can advertise for free or for very little cost.

If we don't get a serious advertising campaign out there into the mainstream
press soon then we have to accept that Oracle will get OpenOffice out there
pushing us into the background.

If we run a campaign then we have to choose whether to pretend that the world is
ideal, with gender (and racial?) equality at all levels.  Would we want to
squander money on an ineffective campaign that we feel comfortable with or would
we rather make ourselves look appealing to wider markets.

Our competitor's marketing teams, that have the benefit of market research on
their side, are releasing certain types of adverts attempting to appeal to
people that aspire to corporate professionalism with a small nod at racial
diversity (as long as they conform to the suit-wearing 'culture').  By doing so
they appear to have successfully dominated our target markets.

Should we ignore what people want and base a campaign on the way we would like
things to be or are we hoping to increase market-share in the real world?
Perhaps we could put a lot of effort into appealing to a small niche market that
are more-or-less on our side already?