Hi Christoph, *,

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Christoph Noack <christoph@dogmatux.com> wrote:

thanks a lot for that! May I move some of the text snippets upwards?

Sure - and I'm glad you did :-)

Am Dienstag, den 21.12.2010, 17:33 +0100 schrieb Christian Lohmaier:
On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Christian Lohmaier
[...]
Since I've also adapted the wording a bit (moving sentences only would
have caused the text to be funny), could you please make sure that it
still conveys the required information? If, and only if, you think this
might be an improvement.

Yes, it definitely is an improvement, and still carries the necessary
information

Some more questions:
     * Who will have access to the data (is there any restriction)?

Access to the raw data (the mysql-database): Only the admin-group,
those who have shell-access to the server piwik runs on, similar for
the piwik webinterface (the tool to create the reports/view the
statistics), the same restriction applies, currently even fewer people
have access two it (Florian Effenberger and myself). So unless there's
a bug in piwik that allows unauthorized access to the data, the raw
data will only be available to a very limited group.

       Can
       we make sure that nobody uses the data for other purposes?

See above.

Representation data, like piecharts that display the distribution of
the browsers used, or a graph charting the amount of visitors each day
of the last month or similar will not be suitable for use for other
purposes.

     * Is this the only data we "track". For example, we might also use
       download statistics - also anonymized, but maybe worth to
       mention if we do this for Piwik.

piwik has some kind of "download" counter, by matching URLs by their
extension, i.e. if someone klicks a "exe" link on our site, it can be
treated as download, or you can define custom actions/use javascript
to record specific custom events, add "goal" monitoring for example,
but I don't have plans to add such stuff in the short term.

But mirrorbrain has a seperate statistic,  IIRC by just using the
server's access log.

piwik is special as it doesn't just count "the page was requested X
times", but also "the vistitor came from "google" after searching for
"free office software", stayed on the frontpage for 20 seconds, and
left the site after visiting the download page" and also "the visitor
who visited us today already came back to visit some more pages"

(this is while gathering the data, not what ends up in the database)

You can get an idea of what is available for evaluation by using the
piwik demo http://demo.piwik.org/

ciao
Christian