Le 2010-11-04 01:51, Marc Paré a écrit :
Le 2010-11-03 16:56, Michel Gagnon a écrit :
Le 2010-11-03 16:06, leif a écrit :

Hi Marc,
I'm not trying to emphasize LibO compared to OOo. But in every software
release, the users are asking: Whats new?

If we don't say what we have achieved so far our users will wonder why
we are hiding it.

/Cheers
Leif

I think we need to compare LibO 3.3 to OOo 3.2.1 and say what's new in a
way that can easily be understood by common users. Having a dry table
with a list of "issues" doesn't mean anything for the average user. By
the same token, it could be said, for example, that the migration from
OpenOffice to LibreOffice won't change anything for the user,
compatibility wise, but will allow the developers more freedom to
develop a better software (or interface, or...). This way, we don't fuel
a debate between OOo and LibO, but rather between LibO (OOo) and
commercial products.

We should also highlight a few advantages of LibreOffice vs the other
commercial suites. I must admit that my list is more geared toward the
power user than the casual user, so work could be done on it. Here I start:
- more possibilities with styles (at least in Writer and Calc)
- variables allow more possibilities for long documents
- better integration between modules, which means a few more formatting
and customizing possibilities in Calc and Impress
- unbeatable cost.

Should we also point out working example as our internal use of ODF formats being used in an extensive way with our documentation projects?

This would be interesting for any business/corporation enquiries about enterprise application. We are close in shape to a corporate organisation and it is always nice to show an internal enterprise application of LibO. Even if it is our own.

Marc

I am not sure if this means anything to our users, and especially to small corporations that don't have the large IT department with its Microsoft-certified professionals.

But this brings another idea that may or may not be marketable at this time: The ODF format is an open format not only officially, but technically. Are there any easy-to-program applications that allow one to write an ODF file? I am thinking of one application where the user will open a web page and select a list of equipments present in their shop; the PHP script will write the inspection sheet and will prepare a nice ODF file for the user. The user will have the choice to either download the .odt file and open it with Writer (for further customization), or the .pdf file for printing.

I have a specific application in mind for 2012-2013 so I haven't investigated my options yet. But I assume that if something like that already exists (a pre-fabricated PHP script, for instance), it is something we could use to promote LibreOffice.

--
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada) -- http://mgagnon.net