Le 2010-11-03 16:56, Michel Gagnon a écrit :
Le 2010-11-03 16:06, leif a écrit :

Hi Marc,
I'm not trying to emphasize LibO compared to OOo. But in every software
release, the users are asking: Whats new?

If we don't say what we have achieved so far our users will wonder why
we are hiding it.

/Cheers
Leif

I think we need to compare LibO 3.3 to OOo 3.2.1 and say what's new in a
way that can easily be understood by common users. Having a dry table
with a list of "issues" doesn't mean anything for the average user. By
the same token, it could be said, for example, that the migration from
OpenOffice to LibreOffice won't change anything for the user,
compatibility wise, but will allow the developers more freedom to
develop a better software (or interface, or...). This way, we don't fuel
a debate between OOo and LibO, but rather between LibO (OOo) and
commercial products.

We should also highlight a few advantages of LibreOffice vs the other
commercial suites. I must admit that my list is more geared toward the
power user than the casual user, so work could be done on it. Here I start:
- more possibilities with styles (at least in Writer and Calc)
- variables allow more possibilities for long documents
- better integration between modules, which means a few more formatting
and customizing possibilities in Calc and Impress
- unbeatable cost.

I do not work with power users but mostly beginner/everyday users. I normally am able to convince approx. 150 OOo installs/upgrades per year at my school. Not this year, I'm off on sick-leave.

*I know that if we can make use of the already available templates and bundled them up somehow, we could boast of the distro's ability to easily (I am not sure about this claim) create templates and there are already a certain amount of templates. The templates are actually well appreciated when people figure out where to get them in the menu. This is for the non-power users.

* emails directly from your documment in ODF, .doc and .pdf (this also is well appreciated when the regular user has configured it)

* close to 150 available presentation backgrounds (this is how many I installed a couple of weeks ago but on a OOo setup for someone else) Again, if we were able to bundle these up in the package or one location for downloading, this is well appreciated by the regular user.

* opensource clipart -- well appreciated by the regular user. While I think of it turning the clipart window for regular window is not intuitive enough. Again if we bundle it with the disro or make it easily downloadable for the regular user.

* Presentation effects (we should quote the number of effects -- especially if you are going to compare. This makes a big difference with school kids)

* can Presentations do start/stop music per slide yet? If yes, this is another big seller.

Regular users are not that interested in extensions. Usually the biggest interest is in Write and Presentation. One more thing that is common, having the Microsoft fonts installed, even when I tell them that there are specific replacement fonts, they still want these fonts istalled. I try to do my best to dissuade them and I would say on average, 90% of people are willing to try once convinced. The others will install the opensource fonts and thereafter they usually tell the other 90% about it and my arguments for not installing these fonts start up again.

Sound/music is another BIG issue. The kids need this to work. Start/stop for all kinds of slide groupings.

That's it.

Cheers