Hi Anthony,

Here would be some possible approaches I would take, just based upon my experiences in education.

1. Try to find out if there are any teachers within the school district who are either a) already using open source software in the classroom or b) have an interest in open source software such as LibreOffice. If you are a parent yourself within the school district, asking your child's teachers for names of those who teach computer studies and then contacting them would be a good place to start.

2. If you find a teachers who is interesting in giving LibreOffice a try, first let them do so on their workstation. Let them be convinced that LibreOffice is a great tool for educating their students.

3. Let the teacher ask the IT staff (perhaps with your assistance if they desire) if they would be willing to install LibreOffice on a select number of workstations, to evaluate its potential. Giving more rational explanations for the desire to evaluate LibreOffice could help put IT staff in a less defensive posture and may warm up to the idea, depending on the person. Reasons you could give include the software's generous licensing terms, the ability for low-income students to have a copy of the software for their not-so-modern computer at home to improve their studies, the possibility to squeeze a few more years of life out of the school's aging workstations, etc. Be sure to emphasize you wish to evaluate it, not immediately trying to make a district-wide move to the software in the immediate future.

The adoption of open source software, in my observations, has worked best when there is a genuine, organic interest from the teachers, administrators, students and/or IT staff. Schools often have a number of mandates they have to comply with. Figuring out a way to explain how open source software can help in meeting those mandates, and do it better than proprietary software, can go a long way toward helping in its adoption. It won't be something that happens immediately. Then again, like a lot of things in life, taking a slow, steady approach and building a solid foundation (ie people truly interested and convinced of open source software's potential in education) I think will win out in the end.

Best regards,
Gabriel

--
Gabriel Gurley
Educator and Author

Quoting Anthony Papillion <papillion@gmail.com>:

My local school district is looking at doing a fairly large upgrade from
MS Office 2007 to MS Office 2010 (no real reason, just the Microsoft rep
said it's time) and I'm really wanting to sell LibreOffice HARD as an
affordable alternative.

Has anyone approached education (specifically in the USA) and how did
you do it? What are the initial forays that you used and what were the
results?

Thanks,
Anthony

- --
Anthony Papillion
Advanced Data Concepts
Remote Technical Support and Software Development

Office: (918) 919-4624
Mobile: (918) 320-9968