Begin forwarded message:

From: Tutorials For OpenOffice <contact@tutorialsforopenoffice.org>
Date: October 17, 2010 5:22:34 AM CDT
To: Dave Johnson <davefilms.us@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Support for LibraOffice

-------- Original Message  --------
From: Dave Johnson <davefilms.us@gmail.com>
To: contact@tutorialsforopenoffice.org
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 18:04:46 -0500
LibO is a new version of OpenOffice.org from the http://www.documentfoundation.org
We would be pleased if you could show your support for LibO on your webpage.

Hi Dave,

As you will be aware from your involvement with The Document Foundation's LibreOffice marketing
group/project, LibreOffice is not strictly speaking a "new" version of OOo, since the current
beta 1 & 2 releases are based on the OOo 3.3.0 development code, incorporating patches from
Novel's Go-OO and others. What is new is that the long (10 year) wait for "The Community" to take
control of "The Project" is finally over and The Document Foundation is now being established.

We and other projects (eg. OpenOffice Authors) outside of the "official" OOo holding, have been
waiting on a definitive statement as to whether or not the OpenOffice.org name and trademark,
held in trust by Sun and subsequently Oracle, is going to be released to The Document Foundation.
In the absence of any such statement and in light of remarks[1] made by (Sun/Oracle's puppet) OOo
Community Development Manager - Louis Suarez-Potts, at the most recent meeting of the OOo
Community Council, it would seem that Oracle will not be supporting The Document Foundation and
propose to take action to distance themselves from it.

The "long neglected" (Read: almost abandoned) Tutorials For OpenOffice project has itself
undergone a change of administration/ownership and work has started on a number improvements and
expansions of both the tutorials and the services provided by the website. Until such time as The
Document Foundation has established a viable infrastructure and released a production version of
LibreOffice, we propose to continue working on tutorials centered around OOo. However, just like
the OpenOffice Authors project, we will be preparing LibreOffice materials for publication at a
later date.

At this stage we only intend to demonstrate our support for The Documentation Foundation and
LibreOffice, by adding appropriate entries to the "Links" page of our website.

Regards

Dave Barton
Project Coordinator
Tutorials For OpenOffice

[1]  In summary: Members of the OOo Community Council who have joined, or indicated their support
for, The Document Foundation (eg. Cor Nouws) are being asked to resign from the council.