Le 2010-10-16 18:26, j.martin.pedersen a écrit :

Hi Martin

Welcome to the marketing list and many thanks for your input. The purpose of the marketing list is to discuss the various approaches to marketing the "LibreOffice" brand. Your input is exaclty the type of input that I am particularly interested in hearing and documenting. LibO needs to take stock of missing functionalities that would make it a more viable tool in the academic arenas.

I have often heard from people of the power of LibO (OpenOffice) however, the lacking tools for academia have made it such that many (in academia) who have tried it have had to abandon LibO for lack of tools in particular areas.

So, I hope to make a list of these tools that are necessary to market LibO as a possible tool for our academic colleagues and hope that a dev (or many devs) will show interest in expanding these tools through whatever means possible either by plugin (obviously the preferred choice) or LibO coded addition (permanently coded into LibO -- not likely to happen)

So, onto your list:

Hi list,

I have just subscribed because of a thread on the discuss list about
bibliographic software for LO, because I am interested in academic use
of Free Software, which for most people require being able to handle
existing bibliographic databases. (Currently I am on the fringe of
academia, doing bits of precarious research, funding application writing
and teaching, having finished a PhD in February titled "Property,
Commoning and the Politics of Free Software".)

There is a wealth of options, somehow.  http://www.zotero.org/ is very
interesting. Moving to the browser level makes a lot of sense for
researchers - that's where you need it most of the time (auto-adding
PDFs, URIs etc.) and if connected to ISBN databases it can make life a
lot easier.

I will be looking for comment on those using Zotero to see if this is a viable and functional plugin. I have tried Zotero, found it quite complete, however, not being involved in any academic research could not evaluate it in a "real time" situation. A friend of mine in Music Therapy research took a look at it and found it too complex to adopt. She reverted back to MSOffice on her MacBook. This is the only feedback I got from her as she said that she did not have enough time to research the plugin due to the time frame of her 1.5 project deadline.

We will need more feedback from people using Zotero. I found it to be quite promising.

But Bibus: http://bibus-biblio.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
- last update in 2009!?!?

and: http://bibliographic.openoffice.org/ - Last updated in 2008!?!

"List address      announce@bibliographic.openoffice.org
List description        A moderated mailing list for announce messages
Total messages  2"

This does not inspire confidence :)

I will try to get back on the marketing list about these and development. I will try to contact them about their project's status at the moment. My feeling are that if they have not been worked on for such a long period of time, then they have most likely been abandoned and the project have been left open for some other groups adoption. I am sure someone will comment if they are aware of these projects.

My questions are:

What happened to the OOo Bibliography project?

And what are the many competing visions for a bibliographical system
that exist across platforms?

Finally, how can the Free Software world create a bibliographic system
that integrates all the best of existing systems in a cross-platform GUI
that is compatible with the dominant systems (Endnote etc.) and which
integrates with OOo, LO, and even that M$ Office thing and of course
Firefox or Zotero?

I believe our concern here is with LibO integration only. But this is open for comments.

There should be a basis for a project with social and computing science
departments. The time is right for institutions to explore cuts in their
licensing costs. Always look on the bright side...

-martin

Agreed.

PS: https://www.mendeley.com was suggested on that threat and that is a
very interesting looking project, but it is not free, only as in beer.

Thanks. I visited the site and, indeed, they do look promising and seem quite active. We will need some feedback on people using their product with LibO. It may integrate well with OpenOffice, but we will have to gauge if LibO integration is done smoothly.

We may have to start a Wiki page on LibO Education Academia to track these options.

Maybe a comment from Drew or Florian?