Am 09.02.2011 11:55, schrieb Thorsten Behrens:
This is much more than just hosting space (and I believe you mean
'mirror space' here), it's also backup space, time to produce
builds, time to upload builds, time to distribute builds to mirrors
- all of that increases by an order of magnitude with full lang
builds. Plus, it's such a waste - 95% of the bits are the same.

I don't currently see any way around the current approach, for
official TDF releases, if we want to keep the current agility.

Maybe strange idea and not thought to an end:

allow people to do their own builds and distribute those via our mirror network (or a parallel mirror network .. or their own network or whatever :) )
This would be similar to mozilla's contrib builds.

So - the TDF "core build team" takes care about the general builds (multilang + helppacks + langpacks in some cases). l10n teams (or teams porting to other platforms) take care about "what they want to have". With this the core team will not have to deal with the additional build and upload time, contributed builds can be de-coupled from regular builds (might be published some days later, announced locally only ...).

regards,

André