Hello!

I am Marco from Portugal and I have been involved on several projects in
the past.

I have translated Pretty Good Privacy 2.6.3i to pt_PT back in 1997,
which was my first translation.

I have also translated Gpg4win, OpenSlides, sites and other documentation.

Lately I have dedicated most of my free time to my PhD project/thesis,
to the British Dictionary, to my tool Proofing Tool GUI and LanguageTool.

Around three years ago I had the idea of creating a place to store the
most up-to-date English dictionaries so that I could create OXTs for AOO
and LO and so that people could download the files from there to other
projects.

I have been trying to find the original authors and get their most
recent files but most of them are gone for a long-time, thus my fork of
en_GB.

I created a GitHub repository and there are already persons/companies
that download the files from there using scripts.

When I created my tool, Proofing Tool GUI, the first goal was to create
a thesaurus editor and the second to create a dictionary editor.

Both have been accomplished.

I offered myself to improve the thesaurus of the pt_PT language for
Minho University, but they never said anything so the project was halted
(I will resume somewhere in the future).

But other persons are developing thesauri using Proofing Tool GUI.

I have also forked and been improving en_GB and have added so far around
21K words and I am releasing it as extensions for Mozilla, OpenOffice
and LibreOffice:

*Mozilla (British):*
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/british-english-dictionary-2

*OpenOffice:*
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/english-dictionaries-apache-openoffice

*LibreOffice:*
http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/english-dictionaries

Notice that for AOO and LO I am releasing OXTs with several English
Dictionaries.

My forked en_GB is the best British dictionary around and I have even
bought a Gold Account in Oxford Dictionaries in order to test the words
so that I may add them if needed. I first paste texts into Thunderbird
and, if it appears as typos, I check them in Oxford and add them if they
are valid words. Since the en_GB that came with AOO was obfuscated, I
grabbed the one from Mozilla around three years ago.

I do monthly releases of en_GB.

This is what I have been doing for nearly three years.

I and other people realised that the bundled dictionaries were totally
outdated and I had some difficulties setting up the technical stuff
(Git, Gerrit, etc.) and I had a discussion on IRC that a push is very
likely not going to be merged because of some licence problems and such.

Thanks!

Kind regards,