Hi :)
I thought some people here might be interested in a few problems someone
is having with Thai.  I'm hoping that other Thai users have found some
work-arounds.
Regards from
Tom :)

On 8 March 2015 at 20:44, CVAlkan <foberle@enteract.com> wrote:

Documentation Team:

Some time ago, I provided an answer to a user who was having trouble using
the Thai language and Thai fonts in LibreOffice; that thread can be seen
in
the Users section at

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/saving-documents-written-in-Thai-tt4088195.html#a4088266
.

I was only able to answer this because I happened to have spent hours
trolling the web to get my own Thai documents to work effectively in
Writer.
A few readers suggested gathering tips on this subject in one place, but
if
that ever happened, I'm unaware of it.

Of course, with each new release of Writer, something changes (usually
breaks), and I now have troubles displaying and printing Writer documents
with certain fonts that worked well a year ago. If I actually understood
what was going on, it might not be that much of a pain to cure the problem
but, with the apparent lack of documentation for this whole subject of
font
rendering, changes in justification and hyphenation using the same font
from
version to version, inconsistent support for open type features and/or
graphite features - I'm just thrashing around in the dark. It seems like
these features should either just be removed or implemented correctly (or
at
least not inconsistently).

I've already had to switch one large document and several smaller ones to
W*** on W****** because Writer no longer handles graphics in tables (well,
it was acknowledged as a new bug [86578 and others] after enough people
reported it, but no activity seems to be taking place). If I now have to
switch another group of documents away from Writer because font handling
(and by that I mean spacing, kerning, etc.) has become screwy, I guess you
can suspect what I'm tempted to do. A new icon set is a nice thing, but

I'm using 64 bit Ubuntu 14.04LTS, and I know the font handling routines in
the various operating systems (and even different display managers) have
differing capabilities and behaviors, but the issues I see all seem to
occur
only in LibreOffice. If there were some documentation available I would be
able to tell if I'm just setting things up improperly for recent changes
or
experiencing a "bug."

I apologize (really) if this sounds petulant, but is there any source for
documentation on how this genre of stuff is supposed to work? Or: What OS
libraries are recommended? Which display and/or printing libraries should
be
installed or removed? Are there third party kerning or justification
routines that can be substituted or is everything done internally in
LibreOffice? What should be done in templates, and what should be done in
Styles? And which of the substitution mechanisms are best suited for which
purposes?

Thanks.

deleted