Hello Tom, *,
On Sonntag, 5. Januar 2014 16:52 Tom Davies wrote:
Ok, so "Lim" does mean limits but just isn't short for the English
word "limits".

Also it's a generic term and NOT specifically about 1 type of
limits, such as either just the upper or just the lower ones.

2 of us did an internet search for the pedantically correct term =
"limes" and got stuff about fruit and rocks but nothing about
Calculus.

I just did the search for a fitting translation for "Lime", what I
have mentioned in my first mail ... ;) And for it, I found
translations, which indicates either a fruit or a kind of stone ...
:( But I was not sure, if it was an missing "s" at the end, a wrong
word in this context or something else ... :( You could test it
yourself with inserting "Mathematik Lime Übersetzung" in a search
engine of your choice ... ;)

When i did another search and made it clear that
"limes" was Latin rather than English i got a few hits but nothing
hugely
useful.  Searching for "limits" did get a ton of useful results
that normal users might find useful if they were doing their own
research
outside of the LO help guides.  So i am not quite sure about how
useful it was to be pedantic because it just added confusion when
we were really just searching for a practical answer but it is
interesting to find the roots of words, so thanks for that :)

Indeed, it is :)
Have a nice afternoon
Thomas
<Fullquote removed>