Dear all,

On 03/10/13 10:11, Mihkel Tõnnov wrote:
I am the Estonian translator of LibreOffice and (at least in theory)
manager of et.libreoffice.org <http://et.libreoffice.org>. The redirect
was my decision, because I don't have time to maintain
et.libreoffice.org <http://et.libreoffice.org> myself and no volunteers
have stepped in to do it either. So I saw redirecting it to
libreoffice.ee <http://libreoffice.ee> (which at least gets updated) as
a reasonable solution until I or someone else would have time to
maintain et.libreoffice.org <http://et.libreoffice.org>.

I am aware of this (except for the FB plugin issues, which I hadn't
thought about until now), thanks to Marc Paré, who wrote to me about it
on June 19, 2012. I sent a message to the site maintainers after that,
asking them to fix these issues, but I never got a reply and they
haven't corrected their mistakes either.

I would like to remark that this is a rather interesting history. If I
may be so bold, I would also like to add that The Document Foundation
might wish to develop a common policy on future redirects to external sites.

Now to the point.

There is et.libreoffice.org/allalaadimine
<http://et.libreoffice.org/allalaadimine>, but the text there is
seriously outdated by now.

I am very happy that et.libreoffice.org does not redirect to
libreoffice.ee anymore. In my personal opinion, the clean and
minimalistic <http://et.libreoffice.org/allalaadimine> is much clearer
and more pleasant than libreoffice.ee, even if the latter did not have
the aforementioned problems. In any case, thank you for the speedy
resolution of the part having direct bearing on The Document Foundation.
I will be sure to let the FSF know that The Document Foundation has no
further to play in the resolution of this issue.

updated. However, since libreoffice.ee <http://libreoffice.ee> does have
useful info in Estonian for users, I would still like to provide a link
to it somewhere on et.libreoffice.org <http://et.libreoffice.org>,
although this time with a disclaimer.

Personally, I would recommend against that. The site can easily be found
using a search engine. Furthermore, in addition to the freedom issues
already presented, there has been a lot of talk in some Estonian free
software circles that the site is not maintained to a level that would
make it useful.

Would that resolve a part of the problem here?

If I have understood correctly that TDF does not actually play any part
in the maintenance of this site and simply directed people there, and
this redirect has now ended, then I consider the issue, as it relates to
TDF, solved.

Perhaps it would help if you, as a representative of FSFE, contacted the
managers of libreoffice.ee <http://libreoffice.ee>, perhaps they are
more motivated to reply to FSFE than to a mere translator.

First, I would gladly contact the managers of this site. Could you send
_me_ an e-mail with their contact details and a _brief_ overview of the
site's background (who? what? why?).

Second, localisation is of paramount importance, so you are not a mere
translator – you are a translator doing a bunch of great work to make it
possible for more than one million people to use LibreOffice in their
native language, and you are helping to ensure the continuity of
cultural wealth the world knows as languages.

Thank you for your cooperation and speedy resolution of this issue.

Cheers,
--
Heiki "Repentinus" Ojasild
FSFE Fellowship Representative