Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last
2013 Archives by date, by thread · List index

They are diacritic marks that mark tone in tonal languages, so there's "squiggles" that go above or beside another letter to indicate if it's a high rising tone, a low rising tone, a mid level tone, and so on. There's a better pdf here which actually displays them

So saying it in long it would be "Linguistic symbols for marking tone in tone languages that modify another letter (usually a vowel)"


13/07/2013 12:21, sgrìobh Tom Davies:
The wikipedia page about "Modifier Tone Letters" says
"Modifier Tone Letters is a Unicode block containing tone markings for Chinese, Chinantec, Africanist, 
and other phonetic transcriptions. It does not contain the standard IPA tone marks, which are found in 
Spacing Modifier Letters."
but i still don't understand what it means.  More to the point i don't see how to cut it down to 
just a couple of words that do make sense.

To unsubscribe e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.