Hi Michael, Mihovil, all,
On 28/05/2013 13:28, Mihovil Stanic wrote:

Dana 28.5.2013. 13:21, Michael Bauer je napisao:
I'm officially throwing the towel on the hotkeys. Or are they access
keys? Whatever... the scope is impossible to tell, some use ~ some use
& and as of 4.0.1 we now also have underscore. Apart from messing with
my TM, I also end up with the unpalatable choice of either totally
ignoring multiple uses of the same access key in the UI or spending an
extraordinary amount of time fixing them. And as LO expands, it will
only get worse.

We sort of had this debate before and I believe the upshot was that if
you leave them out, the system will automatically assign them. I think
that's what I will do from now assuming the failing access key checks
in Pootle won't stop the release in my locale. If I file a bug, is it
possible to remove all of them automatically? Or does the system not
care if I stop assigning them manually part way through?

Michael

I feel your pain. :)
I'm coming from Mozilla L10n in which you have access keys as a separate
strings to LO in which there is 3 different ways to mark access keys.
I'm not against marking access keys inside strings, but PLEASE decide
how you want to do it.

I agree with you both that it's really difficult to have those keys
fixed. I've tried to get them right (I mean all different and no
duplicates) in the UI but I'm not sure what the algorithm is doing
beside my choices. Andras, do you have an idea on what we can do to
improve that ? I don't use Pootle to search the strings, but I'm feeling
the same pain when I grep my files, having now to take care of the ~ and _.

Also, I'm having problems with knowing which of one word strings are
free to translate and which are variables (place holders or whatever
it's called, which I shouldn't translate). Not really sure why you are
even offering those strings in Pootle translation if they shouldn't be
translated.

Because everything is in Pootle (and I like it :) So may be we have to
document what the variables are on the wiki? This is up to us to
document our process and the material we need to make our localization.
I won't do it now because I miss time, but may be we can work on it
together when the 4.1 localization round is over?

Kind regards
Sophie