Hi Michael,

Michael Meeks wrote (03-05-11 12:30)

On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 21:28 +0300, Sophie Gautier wrote:
Yes I do too, but the issue is that we didn't test the betas at all yet
due to this bug

        Which sucks; hopefully the Windows&  Mac builds have been use-able for
testing - and of course, the snapshots of them.

But are we relative sure that this does that give enough feedback from people we can expect to help testing?

and it covers a quiet large range of distributions. So, may be we should
really take time to test the RC fully before really calling it an RC
and spread the word around it.

        The danger of this - is that by introducing further delay into the
release pipeline - we slow down our ability to respond to bugs that are

I don't see this problem. The current build scheme can be kept, just in the naming there will be a shift.

found, and since we are releasing a build per week anyway - we can only
really choose to miss out a week: which isn't that wonderful :-) Already
we only have a few days to fix a bug in RC<n>  and get the fix out in
RC<n+1>.

        -Far- better for people to be running and using the daily snapshot
releases and reporting bugs against them - instead of waiting for RCs
(per-se).

Yes, but as mentioned before: people have to get used to this way of working. Plus that still the snapshots (and betas) will replace the stable version, which does not help testing too.
So that are all pointers that we are risking quality.

        Having said that - warning that RC1 may be a bit rough in the release
notes is a good idea :-) - although, given that this is caused by some

I will have to advice people to be very careful with installing a RC1 that has been probably tested rather little and is to replace the stable version and also introduces a lot of changes in our code base.

obscure compiler problem - apparently only present on the gross / old
system we compile the binaries on for Linux, I'm optimistic that once it
is fixed we'll not be in such terrible shape.

I try to share your optimism, but would feel far more comfortable with an intermediate step looking at the very special situation.
Would it bring someone in big trouble?

Kind regards,
Cor

--