On 2011-02-28 11:27, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
Hi Dwayne,

2011.02.28 11:16, Dwayne Bailey raֵ¡ִ—:
On 2011-02-27 20:09, Hossein Noorikhah wrote:
Hi,
I suggest making SSL optional and not enabled by default. It puts a great
load on CPU, and it's not that necessary.
Pootle itself has some bugs that make it hang when someone uploads a file.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Pootle_Issue_List#Overload_with_uploading_file
Not true, Pootle hanging during uploads is an issue with very old versions of Pootle. Translate only recently updated Pootle at Oracle from 1.x to 2.1, so that wiki page it outdated.

Files will take a while to upload and merge but they shouldn't block anyone from doing other tasks on the server.

What could be the cause of our problems then? What/how should I investigate? I've been looking at what `top` says during those outages, and there seems to be absolutely nothing CPU-intensive being done.
It might be better to run Munin (I think that's the name) to track resource usage on the server. I suspect that one problem could be that we're not getting rid of cached objects fast enough.
Like I said, Apache actually functions properly, because the other vhost is unaffected.

Would you help us debug this? Since you're one of the upstream authors, your input could be invaluable.

I'm not the best person. But Friedel and Alaa are better positioned. Lets try on #pootle to see if we can get some better data and take it from there.

Thanks for your patience everyone. If we can get the server tuned or identify the problem then it should sing.

--
cheers
Dwayne