Hi Rasmus,

I presume you're talking about this:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GSoC/Ideas_without_a_mentor#LibreOffice_appliances ?

Rasmus Jonsson wrote:
When you say "when connected/ disconnected to/ from LAN", are you
envisioning a system where the Pi operator would plug in an Ethernet
cable, visit the URL on the screen (accessible only on the local
network), upload a file, and then pull out the cable? What about WiFi?
Could there be a solution for both?

Yep, exactly as you've described it - feel free to come up with good
ideas how to design interaction for e.g. Wifi or bluetooth - if you
got the hardware to implement that.

Since you mention a Python's httplib, I'm assuming you're not
envisioning this functionality as being part of the main LibreOffice
program (HTTP server, file upload, detect network connection, cycle
through presentations), but rather as a separate project which executes
LibreOffice and controls it remotely. This is how I believe it should/
would be done.

Yep, no point in needlessly reimplementing the wheel. OTOH, there
_should_ be LibreOffice core work included in this task. ;)

There is already a binary package available for Raspbian, and as far as
I can tell there is already some functionality in LO/ Impress for
remote control over TCP, although it is apparently only available in
experimental mode so would require more work:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/sd/README_REMOTE
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/sd/source/ui/
remotecontrol/Server.cxx

Correct.

Using this already-existing interface one could get all the requested
features, it seems. Perhaps there are some other ways of controlling
LibreOffice/ Impress externally that I don't know about.

There's also bluetooth, but that's just a different transport for the
same protocol.

As for uploading files, I think you're suggesting a simple website
with file uploads for the "shop slide display", for the "conference
display server" some slightly more complex playlist manager would
be needed (add, remove, sort pdfs/odfs). All through a website
interface?

Yep, that would be easiest & most flexible - can't assume people would
have touch screens for that sort of setup (or they hang it from the
ceiling & its a pain to reach).

Consider me interested in mentoring that, I'm thorsten on IRC.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten