On 5 Jan 2017, at 11:30, Heiko Tietze <tietze.heiko@googlemail.com> wrote:

Tested this yesterday evening and git commit --amend (Murphy-)worked. IIRC, I committed a patch
and tried to change the author later. Don't remember what the exact problem was but in the end
only JanIV was able to help me.

It works differently between people who have commit access and others.

Whenever you submit a patch to gerrit it will default have committer=heiko and author=heiko. You
can overwrite author, but that will only work temporarily in  gerrit, because when I later merge
it, it will have committer=jani, author=heiko in the git log. Because of this I always cherry pick
such patches to my local repo, do a local commit with the correct author and submit it, then merge
it in gerrit.

I do not understand the reason why you submit patches on behalf of others. We want them to be part
of the community, and that that they submit their own patches (with your or my guidance). You
should mentor them to contribute, not do their work.

Just for information, I get often asked to submit a patch from new people, but I have so far not
submitted any patches behalf of others. When e.g. a contributor makes an attachment to BZ, I write
a comment and politely ask for a gerrit patch. Until now I have only had 1 negative response with
this way.

It is important we learn contributors to contribute ! Have them submitting a patch, that needs
correction, then correct it, is far better, because they learn to help themselves.

rgds
jan I.