On 12/15/2016 02:58 PM, Markus Mohrhard wrote:
On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Bjoern Michaelsen
<bjoern.michaelsen@canonical.com
<mailto:bjoern.michaelsen@canonical.com>> wrote:

    Hi,

    On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 01:02:05PM +0100, Jan Iversen wrote:
    > since you have already made the ball rolling by making gbuildtojson in C++
    > the logical consequence would be to port the script to C++.

    My fear with that was it (using C++ instead of Python) would
    discourage people
    to contribute for other IDEs. But now that we have at least a wireframe
    implementation for most popular IDEs going straight to C++ might
    indeed be our
    best option[1] bootstrapping-wise. Although parsing JSON in C++ is
    rather ....
    meh, but we certainly dont want an external dependency for that.

    Probably needs an iterative approach: first parse the JSON stuff in
    some C++
    objects and create output for the first IDE. Other IDEs move over
    from Python
    to C++ one by one later.

I'm not really sure if switching to C++ will really help us long term.
It might solve the python3 problem on OSX short term but would make
hacking the IDE generator quite painful. Actually at least I don't see
huge problem with letting the script depend on the python that we use
for the build, whether internal or external, and therefore just build
the python on OSX when we run the script. At least for the case that we
pre-generate IDE solutions (which is what I read to make it apparently
possible for really everyone to open a LibreOffice source file) I think
it would not be an issue.

i'm rather unconvinced of yet another c++ rewrite so here's my patch to
use the internal python3 on macOS:

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/32047/