I've been successful in getting a fully functional build on
FreeBSD/PowerPC, including menu icons, toolbars and graphics.

The issue, as I discovered, was in the code used to define endianness, for
FreeBSD/PowerPC.  This also resolved the issue with the Base application.

I have developed patches and would like to contribute this work for
inclusion in the code base.