Hi there,

Quick sob-story, my laptop died (RIP), and I urgently needed a new one at the conference. So I bought a Windows 10 thing - new out of the box, and took advantage of the situation to read and follow the instructions from the wiki.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnWindows

    Which recommended lode:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/lode

With remarkably little effort I did an impression of a clueless newbie ;-) here are my findings; and I believe we should take some swift action, and get some principles nailed down.

* I was excited about Chocolatey

I read the website, thought 'wow Windows is getting its act together', then I tried to use it. The downloads complained of not being signed, I ignored that, but still they refused to work - eventually I gave up, and moved on to manual installation.

*  Recommending a known-good Visual Studio

The LODE page for some reason recommends Visual Studio 2015 - three times, though there is 2013 in the small print. I was to discover many hours later that in fact LibreOffice x86 on the libreoffice-5-2 branch (at least) doesn't compile in this configuration. I was surprised to find out that this is a well known problem later. We should not be documenting and recommending a known-problematic configuration to beginners - even if everyone is rightly excited about moving to the new compiler =)

    => will propose at the ESC that we recommend to beginners only those
       configurations which we know build - ie. have a tinderbox, and CI
       support to keep them working all the time.

This is somewhat more problematic, since (apparently) installing first 2015 and then 2013 results in a truck-load of other odd behaviors, which are really hard to fix without re-instaling (so the paranoid meme goes ;-)

* Antivirus

I was broken by McAffe - it broke git - the simple clone failed with a permissions problem. We have a not-very-explicit "turn off AV" messaging but not in the LODE (or devcentral) pages, and we should do that earlier I think; step #1 ;-)

Anyhow - thought I'd provide my feedback; I hope the solutions are obvious and we can clean this up nicely at least until 2015 is guarenteed to work by CI etc. =)

    HTH,

        Michael.