On Sat Mar 12 09:06:40 UTC 2016, jan iversen wrote:

On 12 Mar 2016, at 09:52, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com>
wrote:

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 2:10 AM, jan iversen
<jani at documentfoundation.org> wrote:
Hi.

Just tried the new chocolate setup with lode, works very nicely.
GOOD WORK.

It would be even nice if we got it integrated into the first lode
install script, or at least the script check for the prerequsites.

lode is meant to be run as a non-admin, on purpose so that the
cygwin
installed is owned by the normal user.. which save the back and
forth
to install new packages or edit /etc or usr/
and in general it is a good thing to build with a regular user (just
like on linux you should not build as root)

chocolate, and the stuff it install need to be as 'admin'
so that still would require two step...
Still that can make things much nicer.. since lode could provide a
chocolate wrapper that the user be instructed to run as admin....

Interesting, when I read the instructions, I read that
install_cygwin.ps1 is run as admin, and ./setup as a normal user (due
to the fat warning before running ./setup).

My thinking was to have the chocolate steps in install_cygwin.ps1 with
our "defaults" and command line options to overwrite them.

This is a valid point. How about provide a new script, say lode_boot
(or some such), that would install all prerequisites (using chocolate +
current install_cygwin.ps1):

* SDK10,
* MSVC 14.0
* JDK8
* Emacs
* Cygwin + all usual suspects: ant, junit, make, nasm, ...

The workflow for a contributor and/or Jenkins/TB administrator would be
(square brackets steps are optional):

0. set up Windows VM
1. relax Powershell script execution restriction
2. install Chocolate
3. clone lode project
4. cd lode
5. ./lode_boot # as admin, with some option, like msvc-proffesional, ..
6. ./setup # as normal user
7. cd dev/core
[8]. add more autogen.input options
9. ./autogen.sh
10. make
[11]. start Emacs, hack, or
[12]. make vs2015-ide-integration
[13]. start MSVC 14.0, hack

PS. Oh, just saw, that vs2015-ide-integration target wasn't implemented
yet ;-( Would be nice if we would have an easy hack for that.