On 02/18/2016 05:38 PM, Michael Meeks wrote:
* MSVC 14.0 / Drop MSVC 12.0 on master (DavidO)
      + Improvement of C++14/C++17 standard
      + bit rotted on master: dozen compilation errors
      + Add Tinderbox to verify that it still works
      + After release of 5.1 consider to discontinue support for MSVC 12.0 on master
          * Looks like it's impossible to manage the switch period
          * both compilers could be installed (?) on the same machine, to still use old compiler on
5.1
      + Duplicated Python 3.3/3.5 trees, because upstream dropped support for MSVC 12.0
      + plan was to use Windows Server 2016 + update baseline (Cloph)
          + can setup the tech. preview 4 of Win. Server 2016 & have a t-box.
          + but not convinced on deprecation yet.
      + does 5.0 build with VS 2015 ? (Norbert)

            + No. Requires Python 3.5

              Only build on master

          + if so, with the 2x new Windows box showing up
             + install VS 2015 there.
          + then take two others off-line & upgrade them too.
      + even on master - with just VS 2015 - still have issues (Miklos)
          + would be good for now to have a tinderbox to stop it breaking.
      + not fond of multiple versions of compiler (Norbert)
          + can hide problems.
              + concerned we test with only the new compiler (Miklos)
      + new Win boxes physically arrived
          + being moved around at Manitu right now with Alex.
          => put Win Server 2016 Preview 4 + VS 2015
              - and bring them on-line and see how it goes.
              + if problems building with 5.0 and 5.1 - re-think.
      + is it confirmed 5.0 builds with VS 2015 ? (Norbert)
          + No. Requires Python 3.5
            Only build on master
          + only 1x release left of 5.0.x - anyway (Cloph)
              + to mid April/May.
      => defer update until then.
      + can we somehow restore Thorsten's t-box vs. 2015 ? (Michael)
          + Thorsten's TB was shut down because of devenv.exe invocation
            (mst__ has an idea how to fix it?)
               + no idea (mst).
      + migrating slaves of jenkins infra - is a bigger deal - needs a single
        toolchain that builds all relevant versions (Norbert).
AI:  => will setup a tinderbox VM for VS. 2015 (Cloph)
      + would be good to back-port fixes to 5.1 too to be prepared for May.

What I noticed with my clang-cl build on Windows is that some of the external modules (at least external/libxmlsec/ExternalProject_xmlsec.mk) do not get built with whatever is configured as CC/CXX for LO, but determine that themselves, potentially picking an unexpected MSVC version if multiple ones are installed?

(It is rather harmless for my clang-cl case, where the main reason to build with clang-cl is more warnings, which we ignore in external modules anyway. So it doesn't really matter there that some external modules are built with MSVC instead of clang-cl. But it might become a problem for MSVC 2013 vs. 2015 builds, when such an external DLL records a requirement on the "wrong" compiler runtime DLL.)