I’m wondering if it is possible to rename sal_Unicode, which is actually
a unsigned 16 bit integer and thus can’t fit any Unicode character, to
some less confusing name like sal_Ucs2 or even just use sal_uInt16 (but
please not sal_Utf16 which would give the illusion that surrogate pairs
and handled in a special way which I don’t think is true).

I count only ~7000 usages across the code base, so that is not such a
huge task. It would be even a better idea to access its current uses, as
I have my doubt that it is always really what people who wrote such code
thought it is.

Or is it part of some public API and should stay as such?

Regards,
Khaled