On 13 Jan 2016, at 12:00 AM, jan iversen <jani@documentfoundation.org> wrote:

Sent from my iPad, please excuse any misspellings

On 12 Jan 2016, at 12:05, Chris Sherlock <chris.sherlock79@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Unfortunately that was the case - I definitely went down the wrong path with that merge.

I've reverted it now - the commit can be found on
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=b4b0cc2a5eef42434444e51fda4a13fc48183aa0

I need to check that UBSan tool more regularly.

But I definitely have to put my hand up for causing these errors. Apologies for this, I will do
my level best not to let this occur again.

When I'm back home I've been meaning to send a post to the list summarising how font handling
works and some ideas and questions around the code.
Even better would be to make a wiki page :-)

rgds
jan i

Not a bad idea :-) I’ll see what I can do later on down the track.

FWIW, I’ve been thinking for some time now that I need to start implementing unit tests around
fragile code I poke. It might not have caught this issue, but I’m going to try to ensure I put
together unit tests whenever possible.

My first attempt at doing so is queued into gerrit already, it’s a very simple one where I’ve
implemented an accessor and mutator on ImplFontMetric and FontMetric, with the aim of deduplicating
the ImplFontMetric and ImplFontMetricData classes.

Obviously the test is very basic, but given the fragility of the code I’m working on, and the
direct impact of changing something inadvertantly, I’m taking a cautious approach!

Gerrit patch is here:

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/21399/

Chris