I missed a couple of posts being off list, and some from Gerrit comments.

(1)And the cost of maintaining it is currently near zero, no?
I don't think so, it's likely more of a maintenance cost than NPAPI
was. I'm not an expert but it makes our Windows builds more complex.

(2)As Michael accurately noted, ActiveX is for more than browser embedding.
It's a generic framework for cross-language modules, which IE simply
capitalized on.

From my admittedly limited understanding (I'm much more a Linux dev)
users can still use the more modern Active Template Library [3] to
accomplish the same goal.  I purposely didn't try to remove any of
this support.

To look at this issue from another POV.. If someone showed up today
with an issue with a LO ActiveX control embedded in their application
that didn't work - what would our response be?  It's an outdated
technology that we're not investing in.

My position on ActiveX is to leave it (lest we break applications in the
wild,) and to *announce its deprecation* with two goals: first, solicit the
feedback of LO ActiveX consumers and, if so inclined to continue using it,
help in its support. And second, to flag a date in the future when ActiveX
will be completely removed from LO codebase, pending sufficient reason and
support by its consumers.

I'm happy with this.  I'd say a quicker timeframe is fine though.
From the announce, if no one has found an application that uses
LO-embedded ActiveX remove it in a month or something.  I expect that
if there are some users they might not hear until the install the
version without it regardless of what we do.

Kind regards,
Bryan

[1] https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/21024/
[2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2016-January/071789.html