I don't even think the Coverity issues are a good set of tasks for
newcomers.

I respectfully disagree, I agree Coverity issues should not be picked by
newcomers, but there are a number of them that could be assigned to
newcomers with a mentors help.

We mostly have close to zero open issues there anyway.

383 outstanding this morning, is of course not a lot considering the code
size, but still enough to do something about it.

One example is when we recently started to get Coverity/FindBugs issues in
Java code.  Many of the FindBugs findings need to be taken with a grain of
salt, and fixing them naively means being overly optimistic. (For example,
a private field of a class not being used in that class does not
necessarily mean it should be removed, as it could be used via reflection.)

That is actually exactly one of the reasons why I like to use such issues,
it learns a newcomer to not only lot at the problem in itself, but also
consider the sideeffects.

Another example is when the implementation of osl_getSystemPathFromFileURL
recently happened to start to throw std::length_error,  That means that it
is probably often better to let such an exception lead to std::unexpected
-> std::abort and a core dump and backtrace that a developer can act upon,
than to catch and somehow handle it, and there by obscure the root cause of
a problem.

 I see your point, but do not agree in the general case (there are a lot of
examples on this where I do agree), however this again is a good example
for a newcomer, and should lead to a status change in coverty (Intended).

In general I prefer people to not only submit a patch, but also understand
the consequences...and sometimes not submitting a patch, but indicating
this is an intented behaivour is also a solution. What I do not like is
that such issues are kept open and thus potentially multiple people waste
time coming to the same conclusion.

rgds
jan i.