On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 08:23:08AM +0300, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
May goal is to make building LibreOffice easier for “atypical” people
who have things like homebrew or macports

Why? What is the point?

To make building LibreOffice less complicated for certain kinds of
people. The thing that really attracted me to contributing to
LibreOffice (apart from the libre propaganda) was how building it was
much easier than OpenOffice; I started working on my first patch on
OpenOffice before LibreOffice was announced, then I tried LibreOffice
and enjoyed the much simpler build and switched immediately. Now
building on Linux is rather straight forward, no matter what software
you have installed, and I think building on Mac can be just like that.

Such "atypical" people presumably should have no
difficulty in making sure their homebrew or macports things don't affect
their LibreOffice build. We don't need to expand the configuration space
into several new dimensions. We don't need a new set of bugs that can be
seen only with a homebrew or macports version X.Y of external library Z.

If a newer version of some external library is needed, we need to make sure
that that is the version used on all platforms then, when using it bundled
in LibreOffice.

I’m not saying we should use pkg-config on Mac, all I’m asking for is
what kind of breakages are expected when pkg-config is found, because I
didn’t experience any, to find better way to fix it. That better way
might be to set PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR to an empty value (and may be
PKG_CONFIG_PATH as well), it may be something else, but I need to know
what is the actual breakage that I need to fix.

Regards,
Khaled