Hi Bjoern,

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 10:51:32AM +0200, Bjoern Michaelsen <bjoern.michaelsen@canonical.com> wrote:
Well, I see a good reason for that. I recently saw some bibisects being done
with Mikloss dbgutils bibisect repo[1] and they seem to contain more "git
bisect skip"s than everything else leading to less than optimal results.

As explained in the wiki page, for me, a dbgutil bibisect repo is more
useful than a product one (it's ~zero effort to build it, as I'm just
populating it with builds I already have), but in other scenarios the
normal one (i.e. what you produce) is more useful.

It's just an accident that nobody currently maintains a bibisect repo
that hosts product builds. Even if such a configure option would be
added, I would not use it for my builds, as it does not help me, as a
developer. ;-)

BTW, it seems to me that Mikloss repo does have the
source-hash-deadcodedeadcodedeadcodedeadcode tag that my repos have[2] and thus
make it impossible to identify what a bibisect means without
downloading/updating that whole bibisect repo from the stuff that people
copy-paste to bugzilla. Is that so, and if so, can it be changed?

Quoting its README:

'Exact git source hash of the current build is the SHA1 in the first
line of build-info.txt.'

So it's the same as yours, just you need to do 'git show
$sha1:build-info.txt', not 'git show $sha1' if you want to get core.git
hashes. The reason is that in the past it happened that after a 'git
pull -r' I did have an accidental not-yet-pushed commit, and this way if
such an error occurs, then the build is not completely useless: if the
sha1 is not valid, you can just jump to the next one, and so on.

This trick is not necessary in your situation when you have a build
farm, producing builds after the fact. :-)

Regards,

Miklos