why isn't this wiki page referenced in the readme?  Isn't that wiki a
page for develpers.  What kind of developer in your world, doesn't
build a debug version, first?

     We used to recommend a debug version AFAIR, but the build tree on Linux with debuginfo is
30Gb small - and
   with debug symbols it takes forages to link. Often it's more feasible to re-build just a
single module with debuginfo.
[nicholas ferguson]
[nicholas ferguson]
I guess its english.
Recommending a debug build...is saying on wiki how to put --enable-dbgutil into the autogen.input
... and then solving that wacky issue with boost.
why do you think I was asking to download a debug version. of 30G...

Where is it mentioned how not to keep downloading the tar files? for
3rd party dependencies.  That alone is a HUGE COST OF ENTRY...to
discover how to turn that off.

     The automatic download saves manually downloading 70 or so individual dependencies; you can
argue that it sucks (and it does) - but doing that manually sucks more =)

A build for a newcomer has to be run three or four times?  Why should the tar files get downloaded
four times?  How does a newcomer turn it off after the first download?  Tor had to explain that to
me.

This is another HIGH COST OF ENTRY.  I ask questions and I get answer that don't fit my questions.