Hi everybody,

Am 15.09.2014 09:45, schrieb Stephan Bergmann:
As discussed previously (ESC meeting minutes
<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2014-May/061146.html>
and
<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2014-May/061294.html>),
we intended to start using at least some C++11 features unconditionally
on master towards LO 4.4.

That implies new minimum requirements for the various toolchains, and we
piggybacked on the research done by the LLVM team on this and settled on

  Clang 3.1
  GCC 4.7
  MSVC 2012

intended to offer a good subset of C++11, bringing both core and library
improvements.

For the "official" TDF Linux baseline builds (CentOS 5, GCC 4.1) this
requires building against the <http://people.centos.org/tru/devtools-2/>
toolchain (GCC 4.8).  Christian already took care of that.

Well - we'll release our 12.04 based rollout this year (I know we're
late ;-) and it'll be at least supported for the next 2-3 years. This
change means we won't be able to do any LO updates after 4.3, not even
thinking of building a LO version for our old 10.04 based release, which
we'll support at least for another year.

Current master still builds on 12.04 (except for collada), so it seems
all used C++11 features are also supported by gcc 4.6. There is a
unsupported gcc-4.7 in universe (4.7.0-0ubuntu4) with a newer version
(4.7.2-0ubuntu3) in precise-updates,

Like Michael Stahl, I would be happy to see an update to CentOS 6 (gcc
4.4) to get KDE4 support in the TDF packages, but an update to gcc 4.7
would probably be a lot of trouble for us.

Just my 2 cent

Jan-Marek