On 08/01/14 12:00, Winfried Donkers wrote:

The company I work for uses MS Visio to create illustrations, which are embedded into Writer
documents (and not saved separately as Visio document).
Since we started using LibreOffice versions later than 3.5 (I think), we have seemingly random
problems with LibreOffice freezing when opening an embedded Visio object.
The problem is very hard to reproduce (I have been trying for months, and have succeeded only
once*), but it can occur multiple times on a single day for a single user.

I know that the SolarMutex issue is getting attention, and that area is far beyond my
capabilities.
But could there be a way to recognize these deadlocks and kill these deadlocks without killing
the LibreOffice application?

not really.

Possibly, with help from the experts, I might be able to create a temporary 'patch' ...
I have not created a bug report for this, since I could find no way to reproduce the problem.
Depending on your reaction(s) I will create the bug report.

it's usually possible to fix a deadlock from just a backtrace of all
threads.

you say you have a user who has been blessed by the gods with an ability
to reproduce the problem, so give them an LO with debug symbols (perhaps
use Kendy's fancy symbol-server thing or build it yourself), and once
it's properly locked up attach Visual Studio (or windbg) and copy all
the stacks and file a bug (CC: me).