Hi Eike,

I shall have a look at the code and see if your stepped approach is easy to
apply. Also, I shall have a look if and how this has effect on the Excel 2010 functions
CEILING.PRECISE, ISO.CEILING and FLOOR.PRECISE.
It might in future if we want to map those (or some) to their ODFF equivalent.

1) for the next release (4.3) implement a second function named a little
  different in the UI (e.g. CEILING_ODF) with the correct handling of
  parameters, do not offer it in the FunctionWizard yet (there's a flag
  in scfuncs.src to suppress functions and their descriptions) and when
  reading from an ODF document a function that does not have the
  optional but so far expected parameter map it to the new function
  (CEILING_ODF), else map it to the old function (CEILING). Both are
  saved as CEILING again in ODF without intervention, not changing
  anything. This enables a release to read and handle future versions
  (or correct ODF files).

formula/source/core/resource/core_resource.src has a one-to-one relation of opcode and function
name.
Can you tell me how to map a function in a saved ODF document to one or another function?
And if this can be done, can't we do this the other way round as well?
I mean using the function CEILING in the UI and saving it as CEILING or CEILING_ODF depending on
the used arguments and when reading a file converting both CEILING and CEILING_ODF to CEILING in
the UI.
This way the user only has to use 1 function name now and in the future.
And with next releases we can gradually skip the CEILING_ODF in the ODF files.

Where would be a good place to put the 'to Do list' (planned changes per release per function)?
In the code, in a wiki, which file/page?
Wiki would be best, as a subpage of .../Development/Calc/ and categorize
it as [[Category:Calc|{{SUBPAGENAME}}]]
Maybe also as a subpage of .../Development/Calc/Spreadsheet_Functions/

As the wikis are public from the moment it is written, I intend to send the text to you/the
mailinglist  for review first.
But, of course, the changes for each release need to be defined first ;)

Winfried