On Sat, 2013-11-23 at 15:15 +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
Would you be interested in working on integrating such a thing?

Yes, that is why I'm looking at it

        Cool - so there is a lot we want to do here in calc. The initial work
on that is in master:

        Data->Streams - I attach a screenshot.

        Matus has a chunk of work to better manage data streams, and how
they're processed / visualised. I'd personally like to see a clear
separation between data source:

src:    http[s] | shell-script | spreadsheet-cells
format: csv, A1<value>

        And finally how those cells move over time as new data comes to get the
time series in.

Would it be problematic for core to have an OpenMAMA dependency
though?  OpenMAMA is not available on all platforms.

        In general with these dependencies we try to de-couple stuff.

It would be possible in Java - after all, OpenMAMA provides a Java API
and it is packaged too:

        And we try to avoid new Java dependencies in the core - as an extension
(fine) - but there are plenty of limits to extensions - and particularly
around performance you want to be C++ for bulk data transfers (cf. the
issues in base).

        In general we try to look for and dlopen system libraries that may not
be there. As an alternative we provide a clean internal abstraction and
distribute a dll that hard links to this system OpenMAMA thing - but (of
course) if it is not there then dlopening our own library will fail.

        Then again - how complex is this API going to be ? :-)

        Either way - you'd want to hack on the data streams code; Matus is
about to merge some biggish improvements there next week.

        But - from my perspective - I'd -love- to have OpenMAMA support - it's
great to hear about you guys, and I'd love to bundle it in the default
install if possible: big data is something Calc is about to get rather
good at in 4.2  =)

        HTH,

                Michael.

--