Hey,

2013/11/23 Thorsten Behrens <thb@documentfoundation.org>

Daniel Pocock wrote:
Would it be problematic for core to have an OpenMAMA dependency
though?  OpenMAMA is not available on all platforms.

Not in general, nope. For some platforms (e.g. Windows), we tend to
ship builtin versions for a number of platform libraries, so that
would work with openmama, too. I see the website claims windows
support. There is a slight catch though with the license, it is
possible that the odd AppStore ToS here or there would prevent
shipping of LGPL-licensed code.

My only concern would be performance - if somebody uses this to get a
single currency and they manually refresh the quote, it is not an
issue.  If somebody builds a more elaborate spreadsheet with dozens of
currencies and they want live refreshes and recalculation of their
entire spreadsheet then a C or C++ solution may be better for them.

For highspeed traders, clearly an in-core C++ implementation would be
best. Dunno what you're targetting here. Everybody else would prolly
be fine with an extension (in whatever language), I'm relatively
certain network latencies will dominate in this game. ;)

Just as note. Checkout Matus' nice work in this area with the new streaming
interface into calc. It will be available in 4-2. You can find it in the
Data Menu.

Regards,
Markus