On 09/10/2013 06:40 PM, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 03:35:22PM +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
But wouldn't every "database context" be tied to some open window,

I don't see why that would be

That's why I phrased my sentence as a question---or at least tried to.

In the context of https://bugs.freedesktop.org/69036, I would like to
see who holds a reference to the DatabaseContext that gets closed. It
is my understanding that (because we have reference-counting garbage
collection), dispose() should actually be called as soon as nobody
holds a reference to it anymore (unless we have a reference cycle).

First, note that we don't have reference-counting garbage collection in general in UNO. For example, Java-UNO doesn't use reference-counting.

Second, note that there needs to be code (the "owner" in the jargon of the udkapi/com/sun/star/lang/XComponent.idl documentation) that explicitly calls dispose on a UNO object. It is not magically called when a UNO object becomes unreachable.

Stephan