On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 09:56:50PM +0100, Andrzej Hunt wrote:

The definition of XRowLocate::findColumn, and its implementations, all
seem to be slightly confused.

XRowLocate doesn't specify what should happen what happens if
findColumn is called for an invalid column name.

You mean XColumnLocate, not XRowLocate.

In the case of JDBC drivers: the JDBC specification states that an
SQLException should be thrown in this case. (...)

Is it OK if I rewrite the specification of findColumn to mirror that
of the JDBC specification,

Yes. SDB(C)(X) is (from my understanding) a C++-ized copy of (an older
version of) JDBC anyway, so just align.

perhaps with a note that some drivers may still return invalid
values instead?

Something like:

 Version of the specification before LibreOffice 4.2 left unspecified
 what happened when passed an invalid column name. As a result, some
 drivers written against older specification may return a special
 invalid numeric value, such as a negative value, zero or a number
 greater than the number of columns.

(Of course I'd also upgrade all the drivers to reflect the new
specification

Great, thanks. If you could also review what callers of findColumn
within LibreOffice do, that would be even greater.

-- so this note would only apply to any external drivers -- are
there any?)

I don't know of any truly external; in some way, the MySQL one counts
as "external" since people take binaries and try to use them with
multiple OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice versions.

--
Lionel