On 23 Aug, Michael Meeks wrote :
      Any chance of an easy-to-check version method a-la gtk that we can
depend on ?

libvlc_get_version is not enough?

Linux, what do you mean pre-broken?

      I fully expect that every Linux packager in the world looks at VLC and
says: "but really this is 173 packages bundled together, of which we can
only ship 13 by default" - and explodes the thing into 173
mis-configured pieces, and in doing so destroys the value of VLC to
LibreOffice: ie. "it just works" :-)

      Of course; then (I imagine) most people just go and download the real
thing from videolan.org - so my recommendation is, that we should only
use libVLC if we are reasonably sure it is not the distribution
package :-)

No, all VLC installs are from distributions.
We don't ship anything.

We host SuSE binaries, though, but they package the core VLC for the
next versions.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf