Hi Kohei,

To me just increasing MAXRECURSION to 800 is a dirty hack.
Yup.  I wouldn't go there if I were you.
I won't.

Actually, I'm just wondering why that code is even in ScInterpreter.
The goalseek functionality is not a cell function, and I would expect a code
like that to be outside of ScInterpreter. This is just my guess, but because we
are putting a code that does its own iterative calculation on top of the
recursive interpretation that ScInterpreter already does, it is somehow not
resetting the recursion counter in each iteration.  Maybe you can see if the
recursion counter is really zero when the formula calls Interpret() in each
iteration...  In theory the recursion count should be zero when each iteration
ends.

I had already started creating traces to check the recursion count.

If you take a look at ScDocument::Solver, it actually creates a fake formula
cell instance and stuff it with fake formula expression to perform this goal
seek.  Why not move this code from its current location
(ScInterpreter::ScBackSolver) into ScDocument::Solver and eliminate this
awkward indirection?

I will definitively have a look at ScDocument::Solver, thank you for your suggestion.

Winfried