I've now managed to get libfbembed (what we need) to link. The build
system fails after this point (it continues to build other things which
we don't need for firebird embedded), so I think I'll probably just
modify the main makefile to only build up to this point for now -- in
the long term I'd still like to make the whole thing work and get it
into firebird upstream though (probably more worthwhile for Firebird 3
given it's still under development). I'll still need to fiddle with
gbuild so that it finds the .dll and .lib in the right place, but
hopefully there shouldn't be any more major issues with using firebird
on windows.