On 06/27/2013 07:35 PM, Frédéric WANG wrote:
I'm not an ODF/ODT expert but AFAIK these formats are just zip archives of XML documents.

Yes, that is correct...

In particular, you'll find some "content.xml" files inside that are just MathML documents. So basically XML import/export of MathML is already done somewhere in LibreOffice since it is how ODF/ODT are designed.

So this is already allowed for, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

Whether LibreOffice (or other programs) can handle arbitrary read/right of MathML is another story. As I said, LibreOffice Math is currently centered around its internal StarMath syntax. Some information are currently lost when exported to MathML (that's what I'm trying to fix) and some information are lost when imported from MathML (because StarMath is less expressive). LibreOffice cheats a bit by putting the StarMath source in an <annotation> element when exporting to MathML and by reading this source again when importing MathML. What I'm suggesting is to work directly on the MathML representation in the long term so that import/export is straightforward and no information will be lost. It will still be possible (and desirable) to use StarMath or other tools to generate MathML code, though.

Yes, I had read what you wrote earlier about storage in an annotation, and it amused me a bit. I think that you also said that when other things write an ODF document they may not write that annotation with StarMath in it (I think you said that anyway).

I have never really been happy with StarMath, but I suppose that is to be expected after being spoiled by the abilities in TeX and LaTeX. I am not familiar with MathML, but, anything that improves this particular capability is a good idea in my opinion.

Would a direct XML export be supported in ODF and thus usable in other
programs that read/write ODF files? I am not sufficiently familiar with
the ODF standard to know.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Macro Document:http://www.pitonyak.org/AndrewMacro.odt