On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 12:07:57PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:

On Fri, 2013-07-05 at 02:25 +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
GtkMathView developer have always been open to relicensing, he
relicensed it under LGPL when WebKit was considering it, so license
issues are the least of my worries.

      Sounds interesting :-) so I had a quick look at the code, and it's
reasonably de-coupled from gtk+, glib, GObject etc. such that we should
be able to get it working without them (AFAICS).

The core library has no hard dependencies, the GTK dependencies are
needed for the GTK backend, we can have a LibreOfice backend without any
of them (the GTK part of the name is misleading).

What I liked about GtkMathView is that it has a fairly complete as a
MathML 2.0 support, and have a modular architecture to allow plugging it
into other applications with some support for interactive editing.

      Sure - of course, sharing development with other projects and
participants is (to me) the most attractive piece.

      Having said that - GtkMathView (for all it's apparent non-Gtk-ness ;-)
has had almost no commits recently AFAICS - assuming it's hosted in
GNOME git; four commits back we're in 2011 ;-) I guess in order to
justify another git repository and all the grief of getting commit
rights at GNOME, creating tar-balls for releases, manually maintaining
patches to the code etc. etc. it'd be nice to think there was ongoing
work there :-)

That is a valid concern of course, but I like to think that the
development is stagnant because the library is largely done. However, my
interest in GtkMathView is not limited to LibreOffice and I was
preparing myself for either maintaining it or a fork of it.

 The main problem is the complex font setup as it predates OpenType math
support and had to revert to using TeX fonts. I have been working on
cleaning up the font support and adding an OpenType backed (that
eventually should be the only backed), if I ever succeed I'd like to
look into integrating it in LibreOffice.

      Ok - well avoiding the torture of TeX/Metafont licensing and so on is
clearly important :-) sounds like some nice work; are you doing that on
a branch ?

A branch on a forked repository:
https://github.com/khaledhosny/gtkmathview/tree/cleanup

The work has been intermittent so I didn't bother the original developer
with it yet, besides until few days ago I was mainly just removing what
I'm considering obsolete features in an attempt to familiarize myself
with the code. Motivated by this discussion, I worked a bit on OpenType
support and it is semi-functional now, but it will need some work to be
usable.

Regards,
Khaled