On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 03:19:32PM +0100, Andrzej J. R. Hunt wrote:
On 24/06/13 12:25, David Tardon wrote:
If this is the current option, could we please consider the possibility
to drop the whole idea and just stay with hsqldb? With my distro hat on,
I do not see any improvement with having to bundle hsqldb vs. having to
bundle firebird.
The main motivation for the switch was (another step in) getting rid of
java (at least for me personally it is, and AFAICS for most other people
too), and not the bundling of a db.

IMHO that is a wrong reason. We should be choosing another DB because 1/
it promises a good backwards compatibility of its data format (so the
ODB created with one version of the DB can be opened with newer
versions) and 2/ it does not force us to use a specific configuration to
achieve 1/ (so we are not forced to bundle the DB), not because "it is
not java". Getting rid of another java dependency should be just a nice
side effect.

And there appear to be solutions to
allow reliable use of external firebird with various ICUs (see mails
from Lionel/Michael) -- so either way firebird still makes the most
sense to me.

_If_ it can be done, great, and I am all for firebird. But if it cannot,
I would much rather stay with hsqldb.

D.