On 2013-05-16 11:21, Michael Meeks wrote:
        Right. So - here are the rules that I'm sticking to:

        + splitting:
                I/O -> unzip -> XML parse + namespage -> fast-parser
                from - interpreting that XML in the core.
Personally I think that using a pull-style unzipper and xml-parser would be just as fast, and way simpler to debug.

        That at least would be my vision :-) I'd -love- help starting to get
there. Some parts of it can be worked on today with minimal pain.

Rather than find threading issues by hand, we could abuse the existing code:
(a) define a special configure flag --find-bad-ui-threading
(b) when compiled in that mode, change the SolarMutex code so that it whinges loudly if acquired from outside the event thread
(c) Run LO unit tests
(d) Fix places which complain

Obviously, the above is the part I can't do.
But I (and other similarly not-skilled hackers) could help with the fixing if someone else could create the checking code and write up some basic instructions on how to
(a) create a new thread using the "LO way"
(b) push a result task onto the LO event thread (you seem to call it the idle thread??)