On 11/15/2012 04:09 PM, Bernhard Schiffner wrote:
Hi,

(this is my first commit here so please be patient ...)

I'am missing the kerning feature for cells showing the result of a formula.

So, there is a technical reason why achieving that for formula result is very difficult, I'm afraid.

Calc has two types of texts: 1) simple text, and 2) rich text. A simple non-formula cell can do either text, but a formula cell currently can only do simple text. When you type e.g. AV into a cell, that is simple text at the time the text is entered. As soon as you apply kerning, though, it becomes rich text. When you reference that in another cell via formula cell, that formula cell only extract that text as a simple text, thereby losing the kerning property.

This is due to the same reason why referencing in a formula cell a text that consists of part bold, part non-bold, part italic, part non-italic etc. becomes simple text without any format runs.

Of course, it is *possible* to support rich text properties in text that's a formula result, but that would require intimate knowledge of the inner working of Calc's cell text handling, and would probably requires a lot of code changes.

Best,

Kohei