On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:
As an elementary school teacher who ran a FR logo clubs and EN logo clubs
with Canadian gr. 6-7-8 students, I can tell you already, there is no need
to add this as a bundled extension.

Fair enough, you don't need it. Everyone can list dozens of
LibreOffice features that he/she does not need.

We are talking about a small (1400 lines in Python) extension, so size
does not matter. Of course it is not a core feature, and not a most
wanted feature, but how many features are there, that has fewer users?
E.g. localizations in minority languages, dictionaries in minority
languages, non-linear solver, export/import filters of rare file
formats etc. Nobody wants to remove them or not to add them, including
me.

I think the main problem with LibreLogo that it is an extension. Some
people consider bundled extensions as bloat, that should be
removed/integrated into core, whatever. While from the users' point of
view it does not matter. We have a checkbox to hide bundled extensions
in Extension Manager, we can make the default to hide those. What's
the difference then between an extension and a normal feature?

On the other hand, as Kendy pointed out, too, currently we don't have
good processes to distribute and to advertise non-bundled extensions.
They simply do not exist for majority of our users. Only a few hundred
or thousand power users find them. Not to mention that they get
community resources harder, e.g. localization and testing.

Cheers,
Andras